Is Cinco de Mayo weekend! And to celebrate… we indulge in tequila and mexican food! If you are planning a gathering this weekend, don’t let all your extra party ingredients go to waste. After you’re done preparing guacamole and margaritas use your leftovers ingredients to make these beauty recipes. Original article here>
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!
Today, as you dive into your chips, salsa and guacamole…think of your skin. These yummy snacks contain five amazing ingredients that benefit your skin. Some of them can also be used topically in fun at-home spa treatments.
The health of your skin is reflected by what is going on with the inside of your body. Digesting good things (like cilantro) can lead to beautifully glowing skin, Cilantro has been proven to help combat skin cancer. Just a teaspoon over your meals every day cuts the risk of skin cancer by 30%. The big power in the little plant comes from its caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid antioxidants.
Green and Red Chilies:
Not only do they add a bit of heat and spice to any recipe, they are also great for your skin when added to your diet! Many varieties contain more beta-carotene than a carrot. Beta carotene is a powerful supporter of the key antioxidants in your body, helping prevent aging or damage from free radicals. Speaking of key antioxidants, chilies also contain vitamins A and C!
Now, for ingredients that can be used topically to benefit the skin…
The antioxidant properties of tomato that work inside the body can also do wonders outside. The use of tomato for skin care is ideal because of its cooling and astringent properties. It is rich in vitamin C making it helpful for skin imperfections and brightens dull skin. It also contains vitamin A needed for building healthy skin. The naturally acidic properties of tomato balance the skin while ridding it of excessive oil. The antioxidants in tomatoes are free radical fighters. The best ones to use are organic or home grown tomatoes.
Lime contains enzymes that digest the dead layers of skin, leaving behind a silky smooth finish!
Lime Body Exfoliant:
Best done the morning after you’ve showered the night before so that your skin is relatively clean.
- Cut a lime in half.
- While in the shower (before getting your skin wet) massage each section of your body (omitting the sensitive bits) with each half of the lime.
- Let this fresh citrus juice sit on the skin for a few moments while absorbing some of the steam from the shower.
- Thoroughly rinse skin and continue your shower – but don’t use soap or other harsh ingredients on your skin.
- Lightly towel dry apply your favorite body moisturizer, like Pure Fiji Mango Body Butter.
Consider this the next time you eat an avocado: these delicious fruits are packed with nutrients like Vitamins A, C, E, iron, potassium, niacin, pantothenic acid, natural Omega’s, and protein not usually found in fruit. All this with no cholesterol! Not only should you add avocados to your daily diet, it’s also a good idea to add them to your skincare regime. Trust me, this ingredient has been used in beauty rituals for thousands of years (and one of the preferred ingredients by Ancient Aztec, Inca and Mayan women.) Here are two of my favorite ways to use this magical fruit (no, not beans…avocado.)
Avocado Moisturizing Mask:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 ounce of orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon of pure acacia honey
- 1 teaspoon of molasses
- 5 drops chamomile essential oil
- Mix all of the ingredients in a blender until well blended, or blend by hand in a small bowl.
- If the consistency is a bit too thick, add in a bit more orange juice.
- Cleanse and lightly dry skin – leaving it a bit damp.
- Apply mask, avoiding eye area.
- Leave mask on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and follow with your favorite moisturizer or serum.
Avocado Under Eye De-puffer:
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Slice one half into long crescents half into quarter-inch crescents.
- Lie down and place one or two crescents under each eye for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and gently wipe skin clean